Saturday, August 28, 2010

Thai Noodle Stir Fry with Peanut Sauce

Ask and you shall receive. :)

I love it when someone asks me for a recipe to make something that I've never attempted at home. Something that I really love and will order in a restaurant given the chance. This is one of those somethings.

I started the hunt for a recipe a few days back and it took me a while to find one that I deemed worth trying, with the obligatory changes and substitutes, of course. This is what I made for dinner tonight, and everyone ate it....even AJ. And that kid, well, let's just say not much goes in there.

I'm getting pretty good at this stuff.

This recipe is a vegetarian one, but can be modified to add chicken or shrimp if you would like.

I make dinners in larger portions than most families would probably need, mostly because of the fact that I have more kids. If you make this according to the list below and have a family of 4, you will most likely have a decent amount of leftovers. (that is, unless you have teenagers) Feel free to halve it or tweak it as you see fit.

Thai Noodle Stir Fry with Peanut Sauce
- 1 box thai style rice noodles, boil until cooked, drain and set aside.
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 3/4 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- dash red pepper flakes (add more if you want it spicy)
- 4 tbsp sherry cooking wine

Dissolve cornstarch into broth completely, then add all other ingredients except sherry. Whisk together and heat until boiling. Reduce and stir until thickened, adding sherry at the end. Keep warm until vegetables are done.

- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 broccoli crowns, chopped
- 2 cups chopped carrot (about one large)
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup sugar snap peas

Heat oil, adding garlic and onion. Stir fry until onion is transparent. Add other vegetables, cover and steam until cooked through. (If you choose to add chicken or shrimp, cook separately then add just at the end)

Toss noodles, vegetables and sauce together.

1 comment:

  1. Yummy....I just made a chicken w/ peanut sauce and the kids couldn't stop eating it...even leftovers were a hit. Thanks so much...will be trying this.

    ReplyDelete

Some of My Most Popular Posts