Friday, November 19, 2010

Creamed Corn

Next to my stuffing, this is by far the most requested of the holiday recipes.  I can't take the credit for this one entirely though....it's evolved a bit over the years.  The creamed corn craze was initially started by Carri and Paul, and I am all about giving credit where credit is due.  It must have been, what, like 18 years ago that you guys brought this recipe to Thanksgiving???  Someone correct me if I am wrong. 

Ever since then, there has been no going back.  It's this corn or nothing. 

When you see the ingredient list, you will quickly realize why it is so good.  I mean, there is a stick of butter in it!!!!  How could something not be good with that much butter, honestly?  Another thing you will notice about the ingredients in this recipe is that this is clearly not the kind of thing that people (ones that enjoy their health, anyhow) should eat more often than a few times a year.  Your arteries may cringe, but your stomach will thank you.

Again, I am typing this from memory.  I've refined the recipe a lot over the years and it mostly boils down to taste testing.  That, and giving it time to thicken. 

Creamed Corn
- 6 cups frozen white corn, thawed completely
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1 cup whole cream
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp white ground pepper
- 2 tsp sea salt

Combine corn, butter, cream, sugar, pepper and salt in large saucepan.  In separate bowl, whisk flour into milk, then add to pot.  Bring just to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 10-15 minutes.  It will thicken, you just have to be patient.  Stir frequently.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of My Most Popular Posts