Thursday, January 13, 2011

Buttermilk Blueberry Crumb Muffins

I got a craving for something today.  This is what happens when I have a craving for something. 


These muffins will change your life.  Really.  I dare you to tell me otherwise.

At the request of a reader, I will include substitutions to make the recipe lower in fat.  In the above pictured version, I used the regular recipe.   This yields about 16 regular sized muffins or 10 jumbo.

Happy Baking!

Buttermilk Blueberry Crumb Muffins
For Muffins
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp, plus 1 tsp baking powder
- 2/3 cup buttermilk (to make lower in fat, I make my own with 1 tbsp vinegar and skim milk, just let sit a few minutes)
- 2/3 cup oil (can substitute with smooth plain unsweetened applesauce)
- 2 whole eggs (can substitute with 3 egg whites)
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 cups blueberries

For Crumb Topping
- 2 tbsp butter, softened (can substitute with light spread)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 400.  Spray muffin tins with nonstick spray.  (You could use paper liners, but you would be sacrificing all the muffin stuck to the paper, and believe me you don't want to do that!)  Combine dry muffing ingredients, then add buttermilk, oil and lemon juice.  Add eggs one at a time.  Fold in blueberries until just mixed.  Pour into prepared pans.

For topping, combine with a fork until mixture resembles course crumbs.  Sprinkle generously over muffin batter.  Bake for 23-25 minutes, until toothpick insert in center comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of My Most Popular Posts