Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Meatloaf

Nothing says home cooking like a meatloaf.  I've been sent many recipes for these over the years, but I always seem to end up making it the same way I always have.  Which isn't much different than the way my mom used to make it.  And probably was the same way she learned. 

I make this ahead and let it sit in the fridge for a while before I bake it.  Served with mashed potatoes, beef gravy and green beans.  And for the rest of my family, ketchup.  I don't get the whole meatloaf/ketchup thing, but I digress. 

Meatloaf
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup ketchup, plus more for top
- 1 egg
- 1 small onion finely minced
- 1-2 tsp garlic salt
- bacon slices if desired for top

Combine all in a large bowl.  Yes, you have to mix it with your hands, nothing else will combine it well enough.  That, my friends, is why they invented soap. 

Now, if you are down at sea level, you can put it in a loaf pan and bake, but up here close to the sun, I have to use a larger baking dish so it isn't as thick....otherwise it would take forever.  My mom used to slather the top with ketchup and lay bacon slices on the ketchup.  Can't go wrong there....bacon makes everything better.

Bake at 350 for about an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of My Most Popular Posts