Friday, October 29, 2010

Crockpot Pot Roast

I will be the first to admit that it took me decades to love pot roast.  I absolutely hated it as a kid.  No idea why, really, because I love it now.  I was strange....that is my explanation.

I received a huge compliment from a friend and reader today.  She said I was helping her become a better cook.  Love this.  Makes all the effort worthwhile to know that I am helping. 

Here's what we are having for dinner tonight.  It's simple and easy, full of good things.  Low in fat and high in veggies, plus you make it in a crock pot.  And who doesn't love that?

Crockpot Pot Roast
- roast (any cut) of beef, trimmed of all visible fat, about 2 1/2-3 pounds
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can beef broth
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup sherry wine
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 - 1 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tsp salt (if desired)
- 1/3 cup flour

Brown roast in large pot with the vegetable oil, making sure all edges are seared.  Chop vegetables and layer in bottom of large crock pot, then cover with meat.  In a bowl, combine the broth, Worcestershire sauce, sherry, oregano, garlic, salt and pepper.  Whisk in flour until lumps disappear.  Pour mixture over meat.  Set crock pot to 8-10 hours on low. 

We'll be eating it with some fresh bakery wheat bread tonight.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of My Most Popular Posts