Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Irish Soda Bread

I'm sharing today one of my most favorite recipes. Something that I make at least once a year, for St. Patrick's Day, and then wonder why I don't make it more often. I came upon a version of this recipe many, many years ago and have modified it more than a few times.

It's the kind of item that lends itself quite well to imperfection. There isn't a set way to make it so much, and if you mess it up, chances are it will still be good. It comes out a little bit like a giant scone. I add more moisture to it than the original recipe called for since my husband isn't much a fan of dry breads.

Irish Soda Bread
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups buttermilk (if you don't have this, you can make buttermilk by placing 1 tbsp vinegar in a measuring cup and adding the appropriate amount of milk, then letting it sit for a minute or two until thickened)
- 1 cup raisins (can substitute cranberries)

Mix everything but the raisins in a large bowl, then fold in raisins.  Dough should be thick and almost impossible to stir.

Place dough into a greased round baking pan. I use a large round pyrex casserole. Don't bother trying to form it into a pretty shape, as I said, this is an imperfect type of recipe. Just lump it in there. Bake for about an hour in preheated 350 oven, until the top turns golden brown and the center of the loaf is done.

Break off pieces and share.

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of My Most Popular Posts