Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Stuffed Peppers

Sorry, blog. I seem to be neglecting you these days. I started you with the intention of an entry at least twice a week and have slipped. Apologies.

I've been busy.

It's not that I haven't thought of things to write, because I have. Many times. But I just haven't had time. Well, as I sit here, one of my babies asleep, the other swinging to her heart's content outside, I have time. A little anyway...

Here is a recipe I resurrected from my youth. Mom used to make these a lot when I was a kid, and I had picked up a bunch of green peppers on sale at the store. Except I had no idea what I was going to do with them. So here you go. I'm sure it's a little different than mom used to make, but they tasted just about exactly like they used to.


The beauty of this meal is that you don't need to make anything to go with it. All your veggies, meat, dairy and carbs in one dish. Love that.

Stuffed Peppers

- 3-4 green peppers
- rice
- 1 lb ground beef (can use ground turkey as well)
- 1 onion
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cans diced tomatoes
- shredded cheddar cheese

Cut peppers in half lengthwise, seed and remove tops. Place in baking dish sprayed with non-stick spray. Cut off all usable flesh from tops and put into pan with one diced onion and 1 tbsp vegetable oil. Cook until onion is transparent. Add one pound lean ground beef and cook until meat is browned. Then add two cans of diced tomatoes, undrained and combine thoroughly, heating through.

While preparing all that, cook rice until it is almost done, but not quite. (however you prefer to cook it, I have a rice cooker). You will need about 2 cups cooked rice.

Mix rice into meat mixture, spoon into prepared peppers. Top with shredded cheddar cheese. Cover and bake at 400 for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake another 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of My Most Popular Posts