Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Baked Pork Chops

This is comfort food, right here. I have to confess that I did not love pork chops as a kid. Or pot roast. Or split pea soup for that matter. As I've aged, though, I've learned to love these good old fashioned meals.

I was asked for a recipe for pork chops that ensured the chops didn't dry out before cooking through. The trick is to sear the outsides completely by frying them in oil before baking them. It seals in the juices better and keeps them moist.

I tend to make these with mashed potatoes, since that is just how they should be served. And green beans. We sure like green beans around here.

Baked Pork Chops

- 4-6 pork chops (I prefer the thick cut boneless)
- 1/4 cup flour
- garlic salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- bread crumbs
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil

Coat chops with flour first and rub in garlic salt to taste, then dip in egg. Cover both sides and edges with bread crumbs. Heat oil in large skillet on high before adding chops. Cook until all edges are crispy, turning to make sure all edges are seared. (Oil may splatter, be careful)

Place seared chops into baking dish that has been sprayed with nonstick spray, cover with foil. Bake at 350 for 45 min to an hour (I find it takes a lot longer for meat to cook at higher altitudes).

While chops are in the oven, make the sauce/gravy.

- 1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup (can use reduced fat)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- dash of Kitchen Bouquet (pictured here, in the sauce/seasoning aisle...just trust me, it makes it better)

Combine all in a bowl, then pour over chops after they have been in the oven for 45-60 min. Cover and bake for 30 more minutes. We use this as gravy for the mashed potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of My Most Popular Posts