Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Shortbread Cookies

I must confess that I don't love shortbread.  Or cookies in general really.  I bake them out of habit, tradition, expectation and love.  This recipe is one that I've made only once before.  It is simple and easy and stores well.

There are, however, two things that I love the very most about this recipe.  One, it is written in my grandmother's handwriting.  Two, it is written on notepaper from my grandfather's drapery store. 

My grandmother passed when Aidan was a baby, and I miss her handwriting so much.  My grandfather has been gone for a very long time now.  I miss having them around, especially this time of the year.  This right here...this is a little piece of them both. 

Make this recipe with your children, share it with your family.  Make those memories and hang on to those little scraps of paper.  Someday you will be glad you did.

Scratch Shortbread Cookies
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened

Sift flour and sugar together.  Cut butter in until mixture is crumbly.  Knead dough ten minutes. 

Pat dough into an ungreased cookie sheet, then cut into 2 inch squares.  Bake at 300 for 45 minutes.  Recut when slightly cooled.  Store in tin with waxed paper between layers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of My Most Popular Posts