Friday, December 3, 2010

Sugar Cookies

I must confess that I detest cut out cookies.  I love sugar cookies, don't get me wrong.  But the rolling and rolling of dough...I don't love it.  One of these days I will do something other than make round cookies with this dough, since it is perfect for it.  LOL

Sugar Cookies
- 3 sticks butter, room temperature
- 2 cups white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 5 cups of flour, plus flour for rolling

Cream together the sugar and butter, then add eggs one at a time.  Add vanilla.  In a separate bowl, combine salt, baking powder and flour, then add to butter mixture a cup at a time.  Dough will form into a large ball.  Cover and refrigerate for at least a few hours to chill.  (Ideally overnight)

Roll out dough onto floured surface until about 1/4 inch thick and cut with cookie cutters.  Place on ungreased cookie sheet at least an inch from one another.  Bake in preheated 400 degree oven for 5 minutes.  Check for doneness, may need to bake a few more minutes. 

If you choose to ice the cookies, it is best to make a thin glaze out of powdered sugar and milk and whatever color food coloring you desire.  It will harden as it sets, just make it barely thick enough that it doesn't run off the cookies. 

Happy baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of My Most Popular Posts