Friday, June 25, 2010

Cheesy Chicken

The last few times I've been to a restaurant with Friday's in the name (hint, hint), I've ordered the cheesy chicken skillet. Yesterday, staring at a mostly empty refrigerator, I was a little puzzled as to what to make for dinner. I had a red pepper, chicken and onions. But no tortillas, so no fajitas. I didn't want to make kebobs, they are just too labor intensive for a weeknight. Then this idea popped into my head. I wonder if I could make that meal from the restaurant?

I did, and it tasted just about exactly like it does when you pay good money for it. Yum. I guessed as to the ingredients in the marinade, but I guess I've gotten pretty good at guessing. I don't have a cast iron skillet to make this with, so a saute pan, a baking dish and the broiler had to make do.

Cheesy Broiled Chicken
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded thinner
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp ground sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1/4 garlic powder
- 1/4 ground cayenne pepper
- one red, green or yellow bell pepper, seeded and julienned
- one medium onion, thinly sliced
- 4 slices American cheese
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese

Combine the oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder and cayenne pepper in a small bowl. Pour over chicken and marinate in fridge for 4 hours.

Place chicken in greased baking dish and bake at 400 for 20 minutes, until almost done. Meanwhile, saute the bell pepper and onion on the stove. Remove chicken from pan, layer the cheese, pepper and onions on the bottom of the dish, place chicken back on top. Broil for 5-10 minutes, until chicken is done.

I also made garlic mashed potatoes and a salad to go with it. My kids eat a lot.

It's that good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of My Most Popular Posts