Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Corn Chowder

I could write all day about the things I love about the Fall. I love the weather. I love the fact that it can be 80 degrees one day and snowing the next. I love the first time the girls get to put on their tights and boots for school. I love sweaters. I love the smell of the air in the Fall. I love the leaves changing. I love the autumn breezes. I love the holidays that come with the season. I love the magic in the eyes of the kids when we are picking out costumes. I love staying up late making stuffing. I love, love, love pumpkin spice lattes.

Perhaps one of the things I love the most about the Fall is the food. I love to make it. Comfort food. Crock pots. Soups. Chili. Warmth. Love.

Here is one of my most time-tested recipes. If you're ever in need of something that warms you from within, that fills your belly with comfort, this is it. Enjoy. Share. Repeat.

Corn Chowder

  • Cut 4-6 pieces of bacon into small pieces and cook in a large pot until browned. Remove and put aside for later.
  • In the bacon grease, cook one diced green or yellow pepper and one diced onion until the onion is transparent (but don't let it brown)
  • Add 32 oz. chicken stock and two small-medium potatoes, peeled and diced. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
  • Add 6 cups corn (I use thawed frozen white corn and I put about half of it through a blender or food processor first)
  • Bring back to a boil, then reduce and simmer until potatoes are tender
  • In a separate bowl, combine two cups milk, 2 tbsp flour and salt and pepper. Add this mixture to the pot and heat thoroughly.
  • Add crumbled bacon pieces and combine

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of My Most Popular Posts