Monday, November 22, 2010

Garlic Mashed Potatoes

You wouldn't think that making mashed potatoes is hard, right?  I mean, you cook them and mash them, right?  Not so simple.  If you under cook them, they won't mash.  If you overcook them, they will get too starchy and sticky.  If you add too much liquid, they will be runny.  Too little and they will be dry. 

Then there is the matter of taste.  I have nothing against mashed potatoes tasting like mashed potatoes, but I just prefer a little more flavor.   

I'm even picky about what kind of potatoes I use.  Don't ask....I'm just that way.

Here's my recipe, it's one that never ever gets pushed around on a plate.  They eat it up.  This will make enough for about 12-15 people.

Garlic Mashed Potatoes

- 5 pounds yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into uniform chunks
- 3 tbsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup cream
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups milk
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- fresh parsley

Add potatoes and salt to large pot of water and boil until potatoes are tender enough to fall apart when poked with a fork.  How long that takes depends on a lot of things like how much water is in pot, and what altitude you are at..  Drain and return to pot.  In small saucepan, saute garlic in olive oil for a few minutes, then add cream, milk and butter.  Heat, but do not boil. 

Mash potatoes thoroughly.  Add garlic mixture and cheese, combining fully.  Garnish with chopped fresh parsley.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of My Most Popular Posts